Conservatorships and Guardianships

Real Support Advisors TM

We understand Special Needs


Should your child or loved one be mentally or physically disabled, supplemental needs trust (“SNT”) may be warranted. Normally there are two different types of supplemental needs or special needs trusts – a first-party or a third-party. Often the third-party SNT is used for future planning, such as for a child that has special needs and trust assets will be used to care for the child in the future. Conversely, a first-party SNT is used when the disabled person inherits money and/or property, or possibly a settlement. One of the primary uses of an SNT is to preserve assets to provide care for a disabled person while maintaining the ability to use government benefits. Our attorneys work with our clients to determine what is preferable.